Thursday, January 31, 2008

Lower Calorie WW Banana Bread/Muffins

2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 bananas(the riper the sweeter)
1/2-2/3 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup applesauce
1 egg
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
Walnuts to sprinkle on top if desired

I just mixed everything together and had to add a little more buttermilk and applesauce to make it moist enough, to be honest I just poured it in until it was the correct consistency, however I started with a little less (1/3 buttermilk and about the same of applesauce). I put mine into muffin tins, it made 12 muffins and one mini bread loaf. You could also use the mini muffins or a big loaf I'm sure too. I baked at 350 for about 15 minutes, depends on your oven, mine tends to cook fast. The loaf had to go a little bit longer. I'm not positive on the nutrition info since I did add a little more applesauce and buttermilk. I thought they were pretty good, not as good as regular but everyone ate them--I couldn't stop the boys from eating them.

I think about 118 calories per muffin according to my calculations. Does not include nuts.

10 comments:

Julie said...

I'm so glad you posted that! Ever since you mentioned making them I've craving them--I'm craving just about everything these days. I've got all the ingredients so I'm gonna make 'em for breakfast tomorrow morning! Yum!

Unknown said...

I wish my bananas were ripe now! I just bought a couple bunches today, but they're all underripe (I like them that way). I'll be making this just as soon as I can, though.

Thanks!

Alisa said...

I am craving everything too! Mostly treats. So tonight I tried some lower cal peanut butter cookies, still high enough that I could only have one. It wasn't to hard though, they weren't as good as regular. None of these crappy diet subsitutes are the real thing!!!! Can you tell I am at THAT point in my dieting-- I've just got to get over the hump. I'm still trying to let my old habits die- but we all know they die hard! However this Banana Bread sounds promising. Just bought some new bananas today. I like them underripe too, but Walmarts were all perfect ripeness, no underripes available. They will turn in no time, seems my bananss never stay perfect for very long, that the closer I am to WW banana bread muffins. I especially like how little time they take to cook!

Julie said...

I just had to tell you that I made your muffins for breakfast this morning and everyone loved them, including myself! I used 3 bananas because I had them, and only had to use the 1/2 cup each of buttermilk and applesauce. The funniest is what Simon did. He saw the muffins and said he hated them and I told him he couldn't eat anything until he at least TRIED them. He ran away, so I left. He came over to me a few minutes later and I asked him if he was ready to try one and he said he already had and he wanted another one! I love that!

Erin said...

Good, I'm so glad! Logan and Adam ate the heck out of them too! When I would get part of one Logan would take it from me. He also would lead me over to them b/c he wanted more. He has reached more of a picky stage so I was happy he liked them and happy you guys did too!

Alisa said...

I meant to put my last comment under this title--

Get some more recipes going for us-- prefferably ones Kariann likes!

Unknown said...

I heard that, Alisa ;)

Alisa said...

Kariann-- tee hee, I knew you would :)

Tamster said...

Hey, Erin! Check out our blog; you've got an award! :-)

Tamster said...

Oh, by the way, the muffins sound good; I wish I had the stuff to make them right now. Do you have to you buttermilk, or can you sub. sour milk or milk with vinegar/lemon juice in place of it? :-)