Saturday, December 1, 2007

Christmas Time

I love Christmas--everything about it. Well, this year I feel like I can actually enjoy it. Last year I had basically just had a baby and was still in that "fog" you are in after having a baby. So I am fully taking advantage of it this year. I was at Target the other day and saw 2 really cute decorations. I thought, I can make those and plus it will be fun. This is often what I do, I imagine in my head that I can make things just as cute or cuter and then I start to do it and get in over my head and it never seems to turn out quite as cute as I had envisioned. My sister Alisa says I'm not the only one who does this, she does too:) Well after Target I headed over to Hobby Lobby immediately (my FAVORITE craft store) and got all my supplies.


Anyway, so I made these decorations. They took a long time, well the berry one did. I think it turned out pretty cute, but I realized now I know why it cost that much at the store! I also somehow talked myself into making a tree skirt, we have only gone 5 years without one. I saw some stinking cute ones in Pottery Barn after Alisa told me about them, so once again I got it into my head that "I can do that". So I have begun it but haven't finished. I'm sure it won't be as cute as PB and that I will have some headaches while I'm doing it but hopefully it'll turn out okay. I also found some decorations on PB I plan to make as well, they look pretty easy, dang cute, and I always do have fun making stuff. I also redid my wreath.




Here is part of my tree skirt. Should I put the green ribbon on or some big green ric rac or just leave it w/out anything?

8 comments:

Erin said...

Cute decorations Martha. I sometimes do that same thing, but always end up spending more than what the thing I originally saw costs. Now I just buy stuff that I like and still spend lots of money.

Alisa said...

It looks so cute. I vote to add the ribbon or ric rac but the ribbon would be less cutesy and more sophisticated. Depends what you are looking for- Very cute though

JerBear & Co. said...

I like the ribbon. I learned a long time ago that I don't do well with crafts. I like the finished product, but I don't generally like doing them myself, and it takes me way too long. There is that question of which is worth more: time or money? Since I don't have enough of either, I usually do without altogether. I admire people like you who can do those things, though, and enjoying it at the same time is a bonus! :-) Tami

JerBear & Co. said...

Oh, yeah. The other problem is that I'm a perfectionist, and I'm a lot more critical of myself than if someone else did it.

lrbodine said...

I love the tree skirt - I think with the green ribbon looks great! I'm impressed that you made all of that stuff. I look at the things and realize the hours it would take me to recreate it and end up just buying it .. ha ha. Maybe I'm lazy? I just know my craftiness is not in some areas like sewing, etc.

Uffens Family said...

Erin...I am amazed at your craftiness...and even more that it looks so great! When I get in those moods...I make something and have to dispose of it :) A little late...but I like the ribbon :)

Julie said...

Erin you're awesome! That's ambitious to me. And your end product turned out so great that it was worth the effort! BTW, I love your blog, so keep it up! Oh, and I linked your blog to mine!

Unknown said...

I agree about the ribbon...it gives it a little umph.

I've been dreaming about making a tree skirt for years now. Now, I'll just dream YOU'LL make it instead!!