Friday, March 14, 2008

South Texas Javelina Hunt


Overall, we shot 10 javelina, 2 hogs, 4 coyotes, 1 raccoon, and 4 rabbits. I held off after shooting my second javelina. We were really after the hogs, but didn't see many. There were javelina everywhere.

The place we hunted was the Callaghan Ranch just north of Laredo, about 4 hours from Austin. The ranch was 90,000 acres and they told us to shoot as many pigs as we had ammo for. So we did.


Speaking of ammo.... This is a picture of me shooting an AK-47 fully automatic rifle. One of the guys in our group is an arms dealer of sorts (legitmately I swear). He sells and rents rare guns, uniforms, and equipment to movie makers. Pretty weird, but he had all these guns for us to shoot. There was an M-60, M-14, M-16, AK-47, MP5 and several others that I can't remember. It was a lot of fun to say the least.


8 comments:

Erin said...

That post was like reading a foreign language... I have no idea what a javalina is or what any of those "M" or "K" guns are. But sounds like you had a good time and I am sure Erin is happy to have a new stock in her freezer.

Tamster said...

I am assuming that post was really by Billy. I didn't quite see Erin doing all that. So how's javelina meat? :-)

Julie said...

Trevor was impressed with all those guns--or should I say weapons. He's not much of a hunter, but he likes guns and likes to shoot. Go figure.

By the way, what's a javelina?

Erin said...

Bal, that sounded like an awesome hunt! And those Javelina make me want to throw up, they look so gross! They definitely look like giant rodents--yuck!!

Alisa said...

Hey this is an AWESOME post. However, I just about barfed when I saw those things. I am glad Erin doesn't have to cook it up-- although she might have made you a bad baby pie or something, I hear thats good with Javelina meat.
You did just list a lot of guns that I have no clue about, but Ed will and he is going to read your post tomorrow when I get the chance to show him. He knows guns. And no, I am not talking about your arms.
It looks like you had a good time, I could see the draw if I weren't scared of objects that powerful and animals that ugly.
Thanks for posting, it really is cool to see whats going on on these trips I hear about, but never can quite visualize. I always imagine a forest for hunting, but duh these guys live in the desert. I love the cacti behind you. I like seeing it in places other than Arizona because I never have. So cool.
You got two and they each got one! Good job!

anna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
anna said...

those javelina look like the rodents of unusual size from princess bride, no?

Dawn said...

ok, so it took me a while to figure out exactly who "billy and erin were" I mean really it's been forever since we've seen you and I think I've only met Erin once so I zoomed in on on a picture and recognized you finally. Your two boys are adorable. It looks like you are doing great, how's Texas anyway?? Good to hear from you. Can't wait to tell Brandon. Take care! p.s. I ran into Bro. Livingstone yesterday at my moms ward. Fun to see him.